Sunday, March 8, 2009

Blog #2

I don't understand why Le Guin explains what kemmering is this late into the book (chapter seven). If I knew what kemmering meant earlier, understanding some of the previous passages would have been much easier. I had a vague idea of what it was from the context clues, but I always had to skip over it which made me think that I didn't really know what was going on.

I was wondering why the Gethenians, especially the Karhidians, would want to be separate from the Ekumans. The Ekumans, being such a large league of worlds across the universe, wants to establish communication and cooperation in its union. Gethen, being such an undeveloped planet, should be apart of this union in order to catch up to the rest of the worlds' technology. For example, when Genly Ai came down to Gethen from space in his "rocket", the Gethenians didn't even know that things can be flown through the air, let alone through space.

I also don't understand why Estraven is known as a traitor. The three people wanted to kill him, and he was just protecting himself when he killed them. He also brought peace between the two sides fighting over the disputed lands. He should be known as a hero instead of a traitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment