Friday, March 13, 2009

Blogger #3

I do not understand why Estraven does not tell Genly Ai that he was supporting him in his mission of bringing Gethen into the Ekumen. If Estraven had told Genly earlier, they might have avoided all this trouble. When the two were talking at Estraven's place in Ehrenrang, for instance, Genly was not sure what he was trying to tell him. Also at Mishnory in Orgoreyn, Genly even thought that he could not trust Estraven.

Before I read this chapter, I thought that Estraven is definately not one of the people that someone can trust. I did not know what he was up to and why he was doing it. After I read this, I realize that his actions are for altruistic reasons, and not selfish gains. If someone sacrifices their reputation and risks their life to save you, you have to trust them.

I was also wondering why Le Guin switches perspectives every chapter. It is really hard to figure out whose point of view it is from every chapter. Every time I start reading a chapter, I figure out who is telling the story around two pages into the chapter. If she does this so often, why doesn't she just write in the third person?

No comments:

Post a Comment